Early Reading Scheme
As a school we worked closely with the St Wilfred's English Hub from September 2020 to July 2022 when we graduated. Our chosen phonics scheme is Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised.
Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised is a complete systematic synthetic phonics programme (SSP) developed for schools by schools. Based on the original Letters and Sounds, but extensively revised to provide a complete teaching programme meeting all the expectations of the National Curriculum, the Ofsted Deep Dive into reading and preparing your children to go beyond the expectations of the Phonics Screening Check.
Membership to the programme reduces teacher workload, ensures high quality consistent teaching of phonics and early reading for every child in every classroom and helps us to continue to grow a love of reading in our school.
- Fully trained and expert reading lead who has dedicated time weekly and attends regular training/updates
- All staff in school trained September 2020 and September 2022
- Clear expectations for learning set out on a week by week basis
- Prioritised and taught daily
- High standard lessons with a consistent approach to resources and friezes
- Taught from Reception week 3
- At least 45 minutes daily in Year 1
- Up to 4 reading practice sessions a week
- Fully decodable books
- Particular attention paid to those that are at risk of falling behind
- Regular assessment and follow up actions put in place
- Extra practice for those that need it