Blackburn Primary School is a Local Authority Maintained school.
This means that the school follows Rotherham MBC admissions and appeals policy.
To apply for a place at Blackburn Primary School please click the following link.
We welcome visits to the school. This can be organised by emailing email@example.com or calling 01709 740412.
Please note that Blackburn Primary School, as with all other controlled schools, does not have the authority to grant a place at the school directly.
Foundation Stage 1 (Nursery)
We have a Foundation Stage 1 (Nursery) facility at the school. This provides a high quality start to school life for three terms, part-time education, normally starting in the Autumn Term one year before entry to reception/foundation stage 2. This policy is set in line with the Rotherham MBC Children and Young People’s Services admissions policy.
At Blackburn Primary School we aim to make this introduction to school an enjoyable experience, which is shared by the parent and child:
- In the year in which the child is 3, or younger, the child and parents are invited for a short visit. This allows them to see the unit, talk to the staff and tour the school;
- The concept of Stay and Play is introduced, during the late summer and autumn terms. These are twice weekly sessions in which the child and a carer work in the unit on a range of activities. This gradually builds up familiarity with all the routines, the staff, etc., in a supportive manner and should lead to induction to school for all children by Christmas.
- Some children may need a longer induction and this will be discussed if appropriate.
Induction Procedures into Foundation 2
Parents are involved in the induction process, sharing experiences of lunchtimes and meeting regularly with staff to discuss the progress of the child towards full-time education.
At all times the welfare of the child and his/her readiness for full-time education are the fundamental concerns.
For more information about how we induct children into Reception or how we can tailor induction for your child, please contact the school office.
- Foundation 1 – the limit is 26 children per part-time session – 52 part-time places;
- Foundation 2 – the admission limit agreed by the Governing Body is 30 and applies to all full-time year groups. Rotherham MBC allocates all admissions.
Transfer to Secondary Education
- Children usually transfer, at the end of Y6, to either Winterhill or Wingfield School. Some parents request alternative provision due to personal circumstances.
- Full information is passed to families, from RMBC, during the Autumn Term through a booklet entitled “Admission to Secondary Education”.
- The school is a partner, with Winterhill and Wingfield Schools, in a full year induction programme, with children visiting the Schools, staff working in Blackburn and, in the Summer Term, full induction days take place at both Winterhill and Wingfield.
- Blackburn School employs a learning mentor, Mrs. J. Burley, who undertakes a transition mentoring role for children in Y6 who may encounter difficulties in making the transfer to Key Stage 3.